Saturday, March 26, 2011

Early October Coues Hunt

A little late with the story but this is the first buck that got hammered down on in the early October hunt. Kevin, Chaille, and Collin all had tags Kevin and Chailles story is down a few post). Heres Collin story how it all went down. Thanks Collin for letting us be a part of your hunt and congrats on the great AZ Coues Deer.

After many years of mule deer hunting and some great sucess, I decided it was time to focus on harvesting a trophy coues deer. This process began in 2009 when I was scouting and located a group of great bucks. I continued to watch these bucks over the next year. With the scouting going well and a few trophy quality bucks located I decided it was time to put in for the October Whitetail hunt. When draw results came out I was excited to see that I had drawn the tag. With the tag in my pocket the scouting process increased and I was watching these bucks almost on a daily basis. With the bucks patterned and opening morning just hours away I was excited to begin the chase. Opening morning found Myself and two good friends Ronnie and Kevin Michael glassing the hills. Within minutes of daylight Ronnie had located the bucks in the area we had been seeing them. With gun in hand Ronnie and I proceeded to make our move. Needless to say we didn't get the deer that day. Day two with no luck locating the deer I thought maybe I had
blown my one chance. After a hard day of hiking and glassing I decided to call my dad and let him know what was going on. After a quick run down he asked me what gun I was using. I told him my 270.with a moment of silence he said are you crazy we changed the scope on that gun and never sighted it in. I was in shock. With the back up gun in the truck I retired my 270 and was armed with a 243 that was sighted in at 300 yards. Keeping a positive attitude I continued to hunt the great buck. Day 3 found me alone on the hillside glassing the area where I had often seen the buck. 30 min into the morning I located the group of bucks on the hillside. 750 yards away, with no long range gun I was forced to make a ninja stock on the deer. Closing the distance to 400 yards I was confident that I could make
the shot. Well after settling into the home made bi-pod I took my first shot, second shot, third shot, and then a box of shells, I was convinced that coues deer are the dumbest animals I have ever hunted. With one shot left I anchored the deer and was very excited to have my first coues deer on the ground. Talk about some nervous moments and man did I feel dumb. With that being said he is a great buck and I had a great time hunting coues deer. With a 110 inch coues under my belt I am going back to hunt the real deal!!! MULEDEER!!!!!! Thanks to Kevin and Ronnie for all there help. Really a couple of class act guys!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment