Monday, March 21, 2011

RNH Annual Shed Trip Part 1

RNH Pro Staff member Drake and I went out for our first real shed hunting trip for 2011. As we got into the unit we hadnt noticed any trucks or tracks so it appeared we would have this area for atleast the following day all by ourself. We got to camp real late and by the time we got the tent setup and in bed I think it was like 2am. Early the next morning. I was waken to Drake saying come on lets go, " at about 4am", my comment was, "bro if there is horns on the ground they arent going anywhere lets get a little more sleep. I was extremely tired but I got up. We packed up our backpacks and headed for the hills. Drake quickly spotted the first horn with his optics, soon later I found a nice muley horn.



After that we found a few more and finished the day with 9 or so horns. We put around 20 miles on our feet and we were glad to get back to camp and get some rest.



The next morning we got back at it and I found an older nice horn. The success continued through the day.




Drake was like a dang mule in the hills never stopping going a 100 percent from dark to dark. Towards the end of the day Drake radioed me that he was waiting for me at a point to check another area. I radioed him back that my knee which Ive had a MRI and need some surgery on was locking up and I couldnt go much further and to go on with out me. I finally made it back to the truck and about 30 minutes in I get a radio call from Drake screaming that he has a giant horn, he said the biggest horn he has ever seen.


I was excited and told him you've got to find the other side. I was so disappointed that I couldnt walk no more and I had to stay back at the truck. All the way to dark he searched but the horn never did show up. I was now glassing looking for the horn when I glassed up 2 bulls, one bull that had a giant body and had already lost his horns and a smaller bull that was still packing. Im pretty sure that the giant bull that I saw with no horns was the bull of the giant horn. I think on the next trip we should be able to find the other side which is even bigger them the side we found.



We had to head back to the valley so we are hoping to get back out in the next week or so to find the other side. Beside Drake dropping his Driveline and a hurt leg it was a great trip. Enjoy the pics.


The collection of some of the horns. We had a motto as some of our friends do, No horn left behind but Im sad to say we left a few behind. We ended the trip with 27 horns. A special thanks goes out to RNH Member Canon (Chad Rhoton) for putting myself and Drake in the right area to recover such a great horn. Chad sure knows the elk units in this state and his pass scouting knowledge was the whole reason we were able to recover such a horn. Thanks again man you made our year. Chad has the video of us finding the horn and I think he will putting a small clip together of how it all went down.


No comments:

Post a Comment