Monday, December 10, 2012


Last Minute Buck!


I was looking forward to this hunt since I got the tag but it seems like as soon as I did I have been super busy. I was hoping I would break away and do lots of scouting but it just didn't work out. Then I had a big project pop up and it was scheduled right during my hunt. I tried every way possible to work around it but it just didn't pan out. So I had some serious motivation to get this job done so I could get on my hunt.

I was going crazy knowing that my hunt had started already and I am stuck working 17-18 hour days. Luckily my guys and I were able to get the job knocked out on Thursday. Friday morning @ 3 am found myself and my friend Clint on the highway crusin to coues country for a last minute one day hunt.


We arrived right at daylight and started the drive in. We got to a point that looked to be unbelievable coues country and I told Clint if we don't find coues on this hill side there is no coues anywhere in this unit... Hoping I wouldn't eat my words.... We started to glass. with-in minutes Clint and I were both finding deer after deer. 17 does to be exact. We also glassed up a beautiful chocolate bear and lots of turkey. We kept digging and it paid off when Clint said... I got a buck. As we started to dig more we found a total of 5 bucks in this pocket. We watched them until they bedded and then started the hike in. What looked to be an easy hike... Was a pain in the arse!!

We got with in range but to our surprise the bucks had already gotten up and they were nowhere to be found. So we set up and started to glass again. After about 10 minutes I picked up a spike in the bottom about 200 yards below where we left them. I was thinking it was a different group of deer and about that time.. This guy stepped out, I jumped behind the gun which was already set up on the Triclawps, Clint ranged him @ 405 yards and well..... Lights out little fella!!

One of the quickest but funnest hunts I have ever been on.

Thanks to Jake Haffey, and Clint for helping out!

No comments:

Post a Comment