Monday, May 21, 2012

LBD! Little Bird down. Opening weekend I was about to head out turkey hunting when a friend asked me if I wanted to hike the Grand Canyon (Rim to Rim). I have been wanting to do this for awhile and figured it would help boost me into shape for the upcoming elk season so I changed my plans and headed to the grand canyon. We did the 19 plus mile hike in 6 in half hours and it was a great time. I couldnt walk for a week but it felt great to get out and challenge myself. The 2nd week my hunt closes and another group of hunters start there hunt in the unit. I couldnt wait to get out and hunt some birds. My plans were to go the following weekend and to my suprise I was unable too due to my wifes new job she took. So with the last weekend of the hunt coming up I finally made it out. I got the tag this year in my old stomping grounds and figured I shouldnt have a problem at getting a bird. I made the trip with my little nephew who expressed interest in hunting so I told him to come with. We headed up thursday evening and started our hunt friday morning. I knew it was going to be harder then I thought since the birds have been hunted 20 plus days already and in the area I hunt they are usually done with there rut activity before opening day starts. Friday morning we made it out. We called all morning and never heard a peep. We checked some of the water holes where Ive seen them and there were some tracks on 2 of the water holes so I decided we would sit in a blind for the evening and try and get our chance at one. Sitting in the blind didnt last to long as my nephew has A D D and couldnt stand still and not talk. After he fell out of his chair and went tumbling down the mountain with the blind wrapped around him I decided we should try something different. We drove to another area to call. We hiked in about a mile and let a call out. Finally a turkey responsed back but it was a hen. After sitting there for awhile and working our way in we noticed it was a single hen and no toms were in site. That evening my dad and my other nephew showed up. We developed our stragedys that evening. Day 2 My dad and nephew headed to a place where we have taken some birds before and I decided to check out a place that usually gets no pressure. I have spent very little time in this area and never hunted it but have seen birds in this area in the past. As we hiked in my nephew asked if he could try the call. I said sure, and just as he finshed we had a group of toms answer back quickly and they were close. I snuck in quietly until I saw them. I turned back to my nephew to show him the birds when all of a sudden he says, "Uncle Ronnie there they are shoot one". Well the birds heard him loud and clear and they took off quick. The first 3 birds were good size Toms and the back one was a small Jake. The first 2 birds were gone very quick, I focused in on the 3rd one back and right when the bird steps in the open my nephew falls into the back of me and I miss my oppurtunity. My last chance is the small Jake in the back and I take aim as he walks into the opening and Bam I drop him in his tracks. My nephew was so excited. He ran over there and picked it up and about passed out with he realized the bird was still alive and started hitting him with his wings. This bird had an amazing 2" beard and was the smallest bird Ive ever shot on the spring hunt. We had a great time and I was glad to be able to take my nephew out and let him enjoy the experience. Picture of our Little Bird!

No comments:

Post a Comment