Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Archery Lion Down! A Hunt to Remember!

Since I have been a little kid I have had a dream to hopefully get the chance one day to hunt and harvest the majestic Mt Lion. Well this past week I was able to fulfill that dream and it was everything I could have imagined and much more, I never would have imagined!


It all started with a call from a good friend Joe Mitchell, He runs dogs as a hobby and has been doing it for many years. He called me Saturday night and said he and his friend Tim were going to head up to the Kiabab and if I wanted to meet them up there we could go try to cut a track. He had high hopes as the fresh snow just fell. They were both bringing their dogs so it should be a good time. Well this worked out great because Ronnie and I had plans to leave for the the strip Sunday morning. I told Joe Heck ya man tell me where and when!!

Sunday morning I get a call from Joe saying Get your A$$ here quick we just cut a good track. We kicked it in high gear and the adrenalin was already flowing!! Shortly after we arrived at our meeting point and off we went. We got to the track and Joe put the dogs on it and they were at work quick!



About 12 miles later we were still chasing this same lion. He would not tree and continued to backtrack and loop back on his own tracks. After a long run with this smart cat, they called the dogs off as they were exhausted and needed to rest up. We started the long hike back out and I then started to realize this is not going to be an easy task.

There was another storm on the radar to be moving in and Joe said its gonna look promising tomorrow with lots of fresh snow. So we decided to stay another morning and hunt. Monday morning we awoke to nearly 12"+ of snow and it was still snowing as we were loading up.

It ended up snowing almost all day and we didnt cut any tracks at all but we covered alot of cool country and seen some great bucks! We got back to the hotel that evening and realized we were pretty much stuck there due to all the snow.



So we decided to stay and hunt lions. The storm cleared out and we were off at it again Tues. morning. We got out early and were lucky enough to cut a track right away. Joe said the track looked to be a several hours old, but lets give it a try. We got our packs and snow gear on, and they got the dogs on the track. The dogs hit the track good and were off to the races.


Ronnie and I hiked in right behind Joe and after about 2 miles the lion backtracked on its tracks and the dogs lost the trail. The dogs came running back past ronnie and I and were gone in the blink of an eye. I thought it was over with this lion, like the last. It was quite impressive to see these dogs work the track. About 30 minutes later we catch up to Joe and he says I can hear the dogs down in this canyon north of us, sounds like they looped back around.


We stayed there and listened as Joe walked out to the edge on this canyon. Joe came running back and yelled "I think they have it bade (sp) up on this rock bluff below us". Joe dropped off the side to go check it out. Ronnie and I made it to the edge of the canyon and we could hear the dogs going crazy! As we started working our way down the side of this nasty snow covered canyon, Joe yells!! "Hurry, Hurry They have it caught up in a cave! My heart instantly began to race!!! Well Joe was only about 200 yards below us but Its straight down the side of snow covered bluff/rock hillside. After about 20minutes later ronnie and I finally were able to navigate our way to the lion. That was after many tumbles and near falling off a 20ft cliff.

We get to the where the lion is my heart was beating out of my chest the dogs were surrounding a cut on the topside of a bluff. They were going absolutley crazy and the dogs were nearly falling into the hole. As I got to the cave, I realized Holy Hell, this is real!! I am face to face with this beast and less then 10 yards away. The only shot the lion was giving me was a head shot, which I didnt want to take unless I absolutley had too. Joe found another very small entrance into the cut and was moving the snow away to
see if I had a better shot from that side. Snow was falling in and I could see the lion starting to move a little,..... Well what happened next is probably gonna leave a lifetime stain in all our britches!

The lion decided it was time to leave, and started out the exit like a bat outta hell right for Ronnie and I. I was thinking to myself ahhhh hell! Then the cat turned and jumped out of the hole Joe was sticking his head in. Lets just say, that Lion missed Joe by less then a foot as it came barreling out of the cave. Joe flew back into the side of rock bluff and the lion pounced out right past us. We all were in complete shock what just happend. Probably the most intense heart pounding thing I have every experienced.

The dogs were quick to get back on the lion and chased it all the way down into the canyon and nearly halfway up the other side where they were able to tree it. It took us another hour just to make that final trek. We were finally getting close enough to actually see the lion in the tree and I was almost completley exhausted. At this point we have covered nearly 5 miles on foot and in nearly 12" of snow covered rough country! Not to mention half of that was running.

We were now about 50 yard from the lion, I shed off the jackets and Joe and I snuck in as ronnie followed with the video camera. As we worked around a big cedar tree we were now in the lions site. I will never ever forget that look in that lions eyes. Scary to say the least! I was now about 20 yards for the cat. There was a branch real close to its vitals and I only had a small window to slip an arrow by. Joe asked if I could make the shot. I said I think so! I drew my bow, took a deep breath and let it fly. The lion jumped straight up in the air , Perfect shot right through the heart! It turned and looked as if was going to run down the tree so Joe told me to stick another one through it. I
put another one through the lungs to finish it off. Game Over!




I remember getting a second wind of air right after it was all over. I went from being exhausted/energized... Definelty a huge adrenalin rush. As I walked up to the lion there was a lot emotions and alot going through my mind. We took lots of pics, got the lion gutted and started our very long pack out. HUGE, HUGE thanks to Ronnie and Joe for all the help packing this beast out.


I have always thought that hunting with a houndsman would be easy and never thought I would actually ever go out and experience it.The experience that I went through on this hunt is something I will never forget and Is hard to explain it to the fullest. It was the most physical demanding hunt I have ever been through. Having to push yourself to go on takes alot. I have really learned what the human body can do if you believe in yourself and push yourself. This harvest and far beyond is the most rewarding hunt I have done. It will be hard to top this one. I would not take back a single step or moment.


Great memories, Great family/friends, Great lion, Great success!


Big Thanks to Joe and Tim for making this all happen for me. Their knowledge about lions and hounds is amazing! Never have seen anything like it!


Special thanks to Ronnie for all his help, especially packing it out! No way I could have done it without you. Great hunting partners are hard to find, good thing I got one!


Sorry for the long read, tried to cut it down but it was to hard with this one!

Check out the exciting video of the complete hunt at the link below:

1 comment:

  1. Congrats guys! That is cooler than hell and it is not easy or CHEAP (at least for the houndsman). The video is cooler than hell and we will share it on our blog.

    You guys interest in doing a DIY story?

    ReplyDelete